Walking Tips to Keep You Moving
Walking is a low-impact, low-cost activity that is great for your health and fitness at any age. Getting started and committing to a daily routine is easy if you create a simple plan. Here are some motivational tips to make walking part of your everyday schedule from Cara Ponticello, our Personal Trainer at Fountaingate Gardens Independent Living Community.
1. Set an ideal time for your walk: Morning when it’s cool and quiet, or evening after dinner are two common times. Choose the best time that works for you to create a daily habit that’s easy to stick to.
2. Keep hydrated! Your body loses water when walking, so fill up before setting out and bring along a water bottle to prevent dehydration.
3. Treat yourself to new gear. A good pair of supportive shoes and some fun athletic wear will help keep you comfortable and keep you going! Consider purchasing a hands-free bag to hold your phone, your keys or other small items.
3. Find a walking buddy! Having a friend alongside you not only makes walking a breeze, but holds you accountable to your routine.
4. Take the dog! Enlisting the help of your furry friend has mutual health benefits for both of you, and provides a great opportunity for bonding!
5. Join a walking club, or register for a walking challenge or event.
7. Find new routes/trails to keep your walks interesting.
8. Set new goals for yourself to reach.
9. Wear a fitness tracker/pedometer or download a walking app on your phone to track your success.
10. Listen to music, an audiobook, or a podcast to engage the mind as well as the body.
Cara’s tips recently appeared in an article in Best Life Online. Read the entire article at: https://bestlifeonline.com/ways-to-motivate-yourself-to-take-a-daily-walk/